Zerodha Brokerage Example (Cost of trading with Zerodha)

Published on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 by Chittorgarh.com Team | Modified on Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Zerodha Account Opening

Invest brokerage-free Equity Delivery and Direct Mutual Funds (truly no brokerage). Pay flat Rs 20 per trade for Intra-day and F&O. Open Instant Account online with Zerodha and start trading today.

Zerodha Brokerage Example (Cost of trading with Zerodha)

Zerodha offers a simple, flat-fee brokerage model. It charges zero brokerage on equity delivery trades and Rs 20 per executed order on other trades. This article talks about the cost of trading with Zerodha (Zerodha tax per transaction). The below tables provide the Zerodha brokerage example an exact amount of brokerage and fees you will pay while trading with Zerodha. The Zerodha brokerage example shows the total cost of 2 sample trades performed with Zerodha.

Zerodha Brokerage, Taxes and Other Charges

Before we go ahead with the detail, we would like to discuss the standard charges (or miscellaneous charges) other than brokerage for stock exchange transactions. These charges are common for all the brokers and not specific to Zerodha, except few which are the location (state) based charges.

1. Brokerage

The commission charged by the broker to execute the trades for investors. Brokerage varies from broker to broker and by trading segments.

Read Zerodha Brokerage charges in detail.

Zerodha charges zero brokerage on equity delivery trades and Rs 20 per executed order on other trades at NSE, BSE and MCX.

2. Securities Transaction Tax (STT)

A tax that is being paid for buying or selling securities. The STT varies by the transaction type as below.

• Equity Delivery: 0.10% on both Buy and Sell
    • Equity Intraday: 0.025% on the Sell Side
    • Equity Futures: 0.01% on Sell Side
    • Equity Options: 0.05% on Sell Side(on Premium)
    • Currency Futures: No STT
    • Currency Options: No STT
    • Commodity Futures: 0.01% on Sell Side (Non-Agri)
    • Commodity Options: 0.05% on Sell Side
  3. Transaction / Turnover Charges

Some brokers call it Transaction Charges and others call it Turnover Charges. This tax also varies by the type of transactionas below:

• Equity Delivery - NSE: 0.00325%, BSE: 0.003%
    • Equity Intraday - NSE: 0.00325%, BSE: 0.003%
    • Equity futures - NSE: 0.0019%
    • Equity options - NSE: 0.05% (on premium)
    • Currency futures: NSE:0.0009%, BSE: 0.00022%
    • Currency options: NSE:0.035%, NSE: 0.001%
  4. Goods & Service Tax (GST)

GST is charged at 18.00% on total value of brokerage (or commission) and transaction charges. It is applicable for both sale and purchase of the securities where brokerage is paid.

5. SEBI Charges

Stamp Duty is charged by government of India at the rate below:

• Equity Delivery - 0.015% or Rs 1500 / crore on buy side
    • Equity Intraday - 0.003% or Rs 300 / crore on buy side
    • Equity futures - 0.002% or Rs 200 / crore on buy side
    • Equity options - 0.003% or Rs 300 / crore on buy side
    • Currency futures: 0.0001% or Rs 10 / crore on buy side
    • Currency options: 0.0001% or Rs 10 / crore on buy side
    • Commodity futures: 0.002% or Rs 200 / crore on buy side
    • Commodity options: 0.003% or Rs 300 / crore on buy side

Zerodha Contract Note Example

Zerodha Contract Note

Please Note:

• Contract notes are prepared each day.
  • Separate contract notes are sent for different transaction type i.e. one contract note for Equity (delivery + intraday), another contract note for Futures & Options and another for Commodities.
  • All calculations are done up to 4 digits after the decimal points.

Below tables shows the detailed calculation of brokerages, fees and taxes charged by Zerodha for various segments including equity delivery, equity intraday, Futures and Options:

Zerodha Equity Delivery Brokerage Example

Charge Rate   Example 1 Example 2
Transaction     Buy 10 shares of Rs 100 Sell 500 shares of Rs 1146
Turnover     Rs 1000.00 Rs 573,000.00
Brokerage Rs 0 0.00000% Rs 0.00 Rs 0.00
Securities Transaction Tax (STT) 0.10% on both Buy and Sell 0.10000% Rs 1.00 Rs 573.00
Transaction/Turnover Charges (NSE) 0.00325% (or Rs 325/crore) 0.00325% Rs 0.03 Rs 18.62
GST 18% on Brokerage+Transaction Charge 18.00000% Rs 0.01 Rs 3.35
SEBI Charges 0.00005% (or Rs 5/Crore) 0.00005% Rs 0.00 Rs 0.29
Stamp Duty 0.015% or Rs 1500 / crore on buy side 0.01500% Rs 0.15 Rs 0.00
Total Charges     Rs 1.19 Rs 595.26

Zerodha Equity Intraday Brokerage Example

Charge Rate   Example 1 Example 2
Transaction     Buy 10 shares at Rs 100 and sell them at Rs 115 Buy 500 shares at Rs 1140 and sell them at Rs 1146
Turnover - Buy     Rs 1,000.00 Rs 570,000.00
Turnover - Sell     Rs 1150.00 Rs 573000.00
Brokerage 0.03% or Rs. 20/Trade whichever is lower 0.03000% Rs 0.65 Rs 40.00
Securities Transaction Tax (STT) 0.025% on the Sell Side 0.02500% Rs 0.00 Rs 143.25
Transaction/Turnover Charges (NSE) 0.00325% (or Rs 325/crore) 0.00325% Rs 0.07 Rs 37.15
GST 18% on Brokerage+Transaction Charge 18.00000% Rs 0.13 Rs 13.89
SEBI Charges 0.00005% (or Rs 5/Crore) 0.00005% Rs 0.00 Rs 0.57
Stamp Duty 0.003% or Rs 300 / crore on buy side 0.00300% Rs 0.03 Rs 17.10
Total Charges     Rs 0.87 Rs 251.96

Zerodha Equity Futures Brokerage Example

Charge Rate   Example 1 Example 2
Transaction     Buy 400 shares (1 lot) at Rs 1000 and sell them at 1100 Buy NIFTY 1 Lot (75) at 11,800 and sell it at 11,700
Turnover - Buy     Rs 400,000.00 Rs 885,000.00
Turnover - Sell     Rs 440,000.00 Rs 877,500.00
Brokerage 0.01% or Rs. 20/Trade whichever is lower 0.01000% Rs 40.00 Rs 40.00
Securities Transaction Tax (STT) 0.01% on Sell Side 0.01000% Rs 44.00 Rs 88.00
Transaction/Turnover Charges 0.0019% (or Rs 190/crore) 0.00190% Rs 15.96 Rs 33.49
GST 18% on Brokerage+Transaction Charge 18.00000% Rs 10.07 Rs 13.23
SEBI Charges 0.00005% (or Rs 5/Crore) 0.00005% Rs 0.42 Rs 0.88
Stamp Duty 0.002% or Rs 200 / crore on buy side 0.00200% 8.00 17.70
Total Charges     Rs 118.45 Rs 193.30

Zerodha Equity Options Brokerage Example

Charge Rate   Example 1 Example 2
Transaction     Buy 1 lot (50 shares) NIFTY 3100 strike price by paying Rs 80 premium Sell 5 lot (250 shares) NIFTY 3200 strike price by paying Rs 80 premium
Turnover     Rs 159,000.00 Rs 820,000.00
Premium     Rs 4000.00 Rs 20000.00
Brokerage 0.01% or Rs. 20/Trade whichever is lower (on Turnover) 0.01000% Rs 20.00 Rs 20.00
Securities Transaction Tax (STT) 0.05% on Sell Side(on Premium) 0.05000% Rs 0.00 Rs 10.00
Transaction/Turnover Charges (NSE) 0.05% (on premium) 0.05000% Rs 2.00 Rs 10.00
GST 18% on Brokerage+Transaction Charge 18.00000% Rs 3.96 Rs 5.40
SEBI Charges 0.00005% (or Rs 5/Crore) (on Turnover) 0.00005% Rs 0.00 Rs 0.01
Stamp Duty 0.003% or Rs 300 / crore on buy side 0.00300% Rs 0.12 Rs 0.00
Total Charges     Rs 26.08 Rs 45.41

Zerodha Demat Charges

Zerodha provides Demat account services to its clients through its membership with CDSL. Zerodha Demat account opening is a part of the trading account opening. Zerodha charges Rs 200 (one-time) as account opening charges and an AMC of Rs 300 per year that gets charged every quarter. Zerodha charges Rs 13.5 + GST per ISIN per day as DP charges to debit the Demat account in case of a delivery sell trade.

The DP charges are not a part of the contract note and have to be paid over and above the brokerage and other charges and taxes. Please refer to the below table for Zerodha Demat account charges:

Zerodha Demat Account Charges

Zerodha demat account opening is free. It is part of the trading account opening fee of Rs 200. Zerodha charge Rs 300 per year demat account AMC. Zerodha demat debit transaction charge in Rs 13.50 per debit transaction.

ID Transaction Charges
1 Zerodha Demat Account Opening Charges Rs 0
2 Stamp Charges payable upfront (at actuals) Rs 50
3 Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC)
  a. Individuals/Non Individuals (except Corporate) Rs 300 Per Year (charged every quarter)
  b. Corporates Rs 1000 (charged every quarter)
4 Transaction Charges per ISIN (Market Trades)
  a. Buy (Receive) Rs 0
  b. Sell(Debit) Rs 13.50 for every debit transaction
5 Inter Depository Transfer (Off-Market Trades):
  a. Buy (Receive) NIL
  b. Sell(Debit) 0.03% or Rs 25 whichever is higher + GST
6 Demat (Per certificate) Rs 150
7 Remat (Per ISIN) Rs 150 (Per certificate) + CDSL Charges
8 Courier charges per Demat/ Remat request Rs 100
9 Pledge Creation Rs 30 per request
10 Unpledge per ISIN -
11 Pledge Invocation per ISIN Rs 20
12 Margin Pledge/Unpledge Rs 9+ Rs.5 per request (CDSL Charges)
13 Margin Repledge Rs 2 (CDSL Charges)
14 Periodic Statement:
  a. By Email Free
  b. Physical Rs 50 + Actual Couier Charges
15 Adhoc / Non Periodic Statement Requests:
  a. By Email Rs 10 per request
  b. Physical Rs 50 per request upto 10 pages. Every additional page at Rs 5 + Actual Courier Charges
16 Delivery Instructions:
  a. First Delivery Instruction Book Free (10 leaves)
  b. Every Additional Booklet Rs 100 (10 leaves)
17 Cheque Bounce/ Per cheque Rs 350
18 Failed Transactions Rs 50 per ISIN
19 Modification in CML Rs 25 per request
20 KRA Upload / Download Rs 50

Read more about Zerodha

Zerodha Special Offers

Free Equity Delivery Trading and Mutual Funds

• Brokerage-free Equity Delivery and flat Rs 20 per trade for Intraday & F&O +
  • Brokerage-free Direct Mutual Fund investment +
  • Trade with the best trading platform in India.

This is a limited-time offer. Open Instant Zerodha Account online and start trading today.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. 1. How is Zerodha Broker?

If you are a day trader, trade multiple times in a day, we recommend you to try their services once and see the kind of money you can save with them. There may be a learning curve and setup hassles of a couple of weeks but within a month you will see the huge benefits. We have observed saving of 50% to 90% in the brokerage fees investor pays.

Rate this article
4.1
Rating:Rated 4.1 stars

Vote Here ...

25 Comments

Bipin
25. Bipin  Oct 9, 2019 13:07 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Can i transfer the share from one demat to zerodha?demat?
If yes. What the charges?
Manish
24. Manish  Mar 1, 2014 16:54 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
hello all
i am associated with Zerodha since last 3 months i have very good experience with zerodha specialy low brokerage plans ,i can earn more profit ,customer service is very good , i will suggest to all investor who are trading in Intra day or delivery go ahead with zerodha for earn good profit
Imran
24.1. Imran  Jan 17, 2018 18:37 I Like It. | Report Abuse
Can You please share your experience for transfer of fund from saving a/c to Zerodha account or vice versa.. DO U pay any charges for that ? I guess Venctura doesn''t charge for that.. Thanks
Raj Dulari
24.2. Raj Dulari  Jan 26, 2018 08:15 I Like It. | Report Abuse
I have to open a trading/demet account with you.what are the different charges to be paid or any rebate to new customers
Mamta chand
23. Mamta chand  Dec 22, 2018 12:02 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
I was charge havily during my trading with zerodha kite app.
7 time more than they committed
Thomas
22. Thomas  Jun 19, 2018 17:37 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
What about dp charges here?
pooja doshi
21. pooja doshi  May 25, 2018 16:07 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Is RS 20 per lot or will it be on total number of lots traded. For ex if I am buying 20 lot bank nifty will the brokerage be 20*20 or 1*20?
ASHOK
20. ASHOK  May 17, 2013 14:23 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
For commodity peoples: , stamping charges high, if we add brokerage and stamping charges, then it comes to 0.02% and turnover charges Rs.490 per crore, i think Zerodha is not good.......They say Brokerage as .01%, but totally it comes to .025%. Its my view...anybody can support me....
Raghav
20.1. Raghav  Mar 10, 2018 00:32 I Like It. | Report Abuse
Totally right they say ita 0.1% or 20rs whichever is lower but they have charged more than that 50+ per day... They are making there investors fool.
Kapil
19. Kapil  May 31, 2012 13:31 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Nice detail.

Can anyone who used there services comment on how they are?
ashok kohli
19.1. ashok kohli  Jan 17, 2018 17:44 I Like It. | Report Abuse
hi ,
it looks some hidden charges are there, i am using it from 1 year .
INDRAJIT GAIN
18. INDRAJIT GAIN  Aug 14, 2016 18:23 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
plese send me contect no. or address of zerodha in (WEST BENGAL) and Is zerodha provide customer services in Bengali language?
Romi keshari
17. Romi keshari  Apr 25, 2016 20:33 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Which is better? Zerodha or Ventura

Ventura offers brokerage of 0.10 paisa/share for delivery and 0.01 paisa for intra day.(with Rs 5000 refundable deposit plan)

Zerodha take DP charges /sold delivery. Does Ventura take DP charges too?

Ventura Doesn't take AMC.

Zerodha takes Rs 9 + service tax for money transferred from saving bank account.

Does Ventura take the same?

Whose after sales service is good?

Prashanth
16. Prashanth  Jan 28, 2016 16:16 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Can I buy IPO''s from your website?
Vikram
16.1. Vikram  Jan 31, 2016 08:39 I Like It. | Report Abuse
Sorry, Zerodha doesn''t offer investing in IPO, FPO, OFS etc.

As of now Zerodha do not offer investing in Mutual Funds too but they are about the launch this option.
baby joseph
15. baby joseph  Dec 21, 2014 20:52 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
zderodha need to reduce the option brokerage since the nifty lot reduced to 25 and brokerge not even reduce to rs 10 from existing 20 rs. when nifty advance Rs.1 you can not get any profit becaof brokerge and other service charge to rs 25/.
P.V. Subramanian
14. P.V. Subramanian  Jan 27, 2014 11:41 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Without taking into calculation the charges for demat account, we cannot compare Zerodha with icici or SBI. I would like to have an example inclusive of demat charges
AJIT
13. AJIT  Apr 30, 2013 07:52 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ZERODHA IS HAVING OFFICE IN MUMBAI.
Ashutosh
12. Ashutosh  Apr 24, 2013 16:49 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Hi

Currently I am associated with Fullerton securities since 5 years. Now Fullerton is closing its operations and asked their customers to either shift to Edelweiss or open a new Demat a/c for transfer of stocks. Kindly recommend me which AMC will be best for me.

Fullerton is providing me both online and offline facility to me. I am more comfortable with online but need both. I intending to shift to reliable and trustworthy AMC with excellant customer support. I have to take my decision before 10th May as Fullerton is closing its operations on 23rd May 2013.

I really appreciate your honest and sincere recommendation on the same.

Thanks & Regards

Ashutosh Jain
noorulla
11. noorulla  Mar 20, 2013 19:26 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
hi
i wanted to open a account in zerodha currently i had a account in reliance capital what is the procedure to open the account and another thing what is charging platform for sell and buy please send me the details to my email id
thanks
Pawan
10. Pawan  Jan 25, 2013 22:36 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
i am holding zerodha account ... all other delivery) and contract note says rs 1.0 stamp charge which is too much.
suman kumar jha
9. suman kumar jha  Jan 14, 2013 10:33 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
i want to know stamp duty and demat account charge for trade in commodity with zerodha.
DEVADOSS E
8. DEVADOSS E  Oct 27, 2012 15:50 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Dear Zerodha !

Currently, I am using the Edelweiss platform for trading. I hold more than 20 scrips ( mostly on the negative side ) valued @ Rs 12.8 lakhs / Rs 14.5 lakhs invested ! Of these he major chunk is with Tata Motors ( 1430 shares @ Rs 286.2 ) , Tata Steel ( 375 shares @ Rs 470.4) , Bank of Baroda ( 100 shares @Rs 852.5) and PNB ( 100 shares @ Rs 1024.5 ) . I would like to transfer them to your platform at the earliest ! Will you pl let me know how do I go ahead. I would like to apply for membership ONLINE .

Kindly send a copy of your kind response to my Inbox at " devadossvanaja@gmail.com "

Devadoss E
karan
7. karan  Oct 27, 2012 13:18 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Charges for Failed Transaction is Rs. 50.
What is that?
Chittorgarh.com Team
6. Chittorgarh.com Team  Oct 24, 2012 12:34 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Hello Jayanta,

1. The detail of Zerodha Stamp Changes is provided in point number 8 "*** Stamp Charges" above.

2. You can find Zerodha Demat related charges at:

Hope this will help.
Jayanta
5. Jayanta  Oct 19, 2012 23:11 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
very useful. but the spaces for stamp charges are blank. what is the charge? also pls tell me whether there are any other charges related to de-materialisation and re-materialisation. i m not and expert and dont know everything about trading. but i have gone through a link provided by this site and there was something de-materialisation and re-materialisation charges as follows.......................
Inter Depository Transfer::
a. Buy (Receive): NIL
b. Sell(Debit): Rs 8 + NSDL Rs 5) flat for every debit transaction
Demat (Per certificate): Rs 2 + Rs 35 as courier charges
Remat (Per ISIN): Rs 25 per certificate or 0.5% of the value whichever is higher + Rs 9 (depository charges)
Courier charges per Demat/ Remat request: Rs 35
Pledge per ISIN: 0.02% of the transation depository charges)
Unpledge per ISIN: 0.02% of the transation depository charges)
Pledge Invocation per ISIN: 0.05% of the transation depository charges)
i could not understand......so someone pls explain it and make it clear.......
mohan
4. mohan  Aug 17, 2012 20:56 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
charges less
Samson Samuel
3. Samson Samuel  Aug 2, 2012 18:00 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
Please give me the contact details of Zerodha in Kerala state
manish prajapati
2. manish prajapati  Jun 24, 2012 00:14 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
plese send me contect no. or address of zerodha in ahmedabad city(gujarat) and Is zerodha provide customer services in gujarati language?
GOPAL AGRAWAL
1. GOPAL AGRAWAL  Jun 19, 2012 16:53 I Like It. | Report Abuse Reply
I Want to know more about your company

Search Chittorgarh.com: