Chittorgarh.com
Free Trading + Demat Account

Stock Trading on Mac and Linux Operating System in India

Published on Saturday, May 3, 2014 by Chittorgarh.com Team | Modified on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Lowest Brokerage Charge in India

We can help you find the right broker and save upto 90% in brokerage fees.

Name:Phone
EmailCity
State
Are you a day trader?

Apple Mac OC or Linux OS are not very popular in India personal computer market; where Windows dominates.

A rare but a true requirement for traders in India who uses Apple Mac machine or Linux computers is a trading platform which works on OS other then Windows.

Finding a broker which provides Mac / Linux OS trading platform is difficult. Most brokers provide website based trading platforms but these websites also restricted to windows compatibility; this makes the situation worst.

List of brokers in India offering trading platform for Mac & Linux OS:

1. Indiabulls (Power Indiabulls Trading Terminal - Installable)
  2. Kotak Security (KEAT Pro X - only web-based trading supported)
  3. ICICI Direct (only web-based trading supported)

My broker doesn't offer trading on Mac/Linux OS; what other options do I have?

1. Switch to brokers who offer Mac / Linux OS trading platform.
  2. Choose broker of your interest and use call & trade feature or use mobile trading platform.

Which discount stock / commodity broker offers trading on Mac / Linux in India?

As per our research; we didn't find any discount brokers having trading platform which works on Mac or Linux OS. Brokers like Zerodha, RKSV and Smart Trade uses either NSE Trading Platform NOW or Omnesys Technologies NEST. Both of them claim of building a MAC/Linux compatible installable trading terminal and website but are not giving any timelines when these will be ready.

Are you using Mac or Linux for trading in India stock / commodity market?

Please share your views, feedback and experience with us by posting the comments below.

Rate this article
4.3
Rating:Rated 4.3 stars

Vote Here ...

Save 60% to 90% on Brokerage Fee

We can help you save over 60% in brokerage fee.

Name:Phone
EmailCity
State
Are you a day trader?

9 Comments

9. jumbli  May 1, 2016 07:03 Reply
Power Indiabulls is Java based and works perfectly on Linux and Mac. I strongly recommend Indiabulls if you need Linux or Mac compatibility. The Linux and Mac versions of PIB are available on their website for download.
9.1. Vikash Agarwal  Feb 16, 2018 18:45
Hey is the app still available for Mac ?
8. Tom Shankar  Mar 22, 2017 23:12 Reply
It''s sad that there is no significant trading platforms are available in Linux. I am using Debian and Arch for a long term and still not found any good trading apps compatible with this.
7. suhail  Sep 1, 2016 15:09 Reply
I think that stock brokers should write their trading apps in Java for portability across operating system.
6. SK  Apr 2, 2016 08:01 Reply
No trade terminal available to run on Ubuntu or Linux platform.
5. chandan  Jul 17, 2015 11:00 Reply
hi everybody i am using macbook but my broker no provide terminal for macbook
my broker is sharekhan,
i would like to find another broker for good terminal for macbook book pro ,
4. Yogesh  Nov 21, 2014 12:36 Reply
I''m doing trading with sharekhan on linux, but only through chrome browser, although I do not face any issues in it, but I need terminal software or standalone software.
Your post is excellent on this topic and will watch discount brokers if they can provide this software in future.
3. Pravin  Jul 8, 2014 11:49 Reply
I am linux fan. My brother does trading and I was insisting him to switch ot linux from Windows. He has only one complaint. His nest trading software does not work on linux. It is so unfortunate.
2. Ankit  May 4, 2014 10:31 Reply
I have been using Sharekhan website for trading on Mac from more than a year and haven''t faced any issues. I have to switch from Motilal Oswal to Sharekhan since Motilal Oswal website wasn''t fully compatible with Mac(chrome or firefox browser).
1. Apoorv  May 3, 2014 19:40 Reply
Excellent post. One more thing that Mac users can do is to install (use) Windows OS from their Mac. There are a couple of ways to do this - either install Windows in a dual boot up or a virtualization software such as VMWare or VirtualBox (virtualbox is free).

Message Board